History

Balverne History

We are very proud to be re-introducing the Balverne name to the wine loving public. Our 710 acre estate, now known as Windsor Oaks, is located just south of Healdsburg in Sonoma County California. The property was part of the Rancho Sotoyome land grant of 1841 and was later acquired by Antonio Perelli-Minetti, who was the first to plant grapes on the property. In the 1920’s the estate was used as a summer residence; extensive stonework from the gardens can still be seen on the property. The estate was purchased in 1972, replanted to grapes and winemaking was begun under the name Balverne. Balverne was a well known wine brand throughout the 1980s, when it was poured at the White House and served in the finest restaurants across the country. The wines were made by two young Davis graduates, class of ’78, Doug Nalle and John Kongsgaard, both of whom have gone on to become highly regarded winemakers at their own wineries.

In 1992 the property was purchased by its current owner Bob Stein, who renamed the property Windsor Oaks Vineyards. The property was successfully managed as a vineyard, selling fruit to over 35 highly regarded wineries throughout the state. Winemaking resumed on the property in 2005 under the Windsor Oaks name and in 2012, Bob and his wife Renee made the decision to honor the legacy of their beloved property by re-introducing the Balverne name.

Preserving the natural beauty of the land has always been at the heart of our vision. For this reason, the estate includes 350 acres of protected open space land, preserving the beauty of Notre Vue Estate for generations to come. This synergy creates a harmony that supports the abundant wildlife as well as the natural flora and fauna. 

We welcome visitors to the property by appointment. Contact Us for more information.